The LinkUp Blog The Industry's Best-Kept Secret
Mac Owners Are Liberal, Arrogant, Self-Centered, Music-Loving Greenies
A recent article in Advertising Age summarized a study by Mindset Media which perfectly characterizes the typical Mac owner or Apple fanatic. Being a lifelong Apple freak, I began reading the article with some skepticism. Soon enough, a grin crept onto my face as I realized that I was being pretty accurately described. Of course, not every descriptor applied in full, but most did to some extent and some did so to a large degree. As the study/article points out, true, die-hard Apple fanatics/Mac owners are:
• Superior – Mac owners possess a sense of self-importance and tend to think of themselves as extraordinary.
• Open – Mac owners test high in the open-personality category. They are more likely to buy organic food, drink Starbucks, and drive a hybrid.
• Perfectionists – Mac owners are ‘control freaks who like everything in its place.’
• Music Mavens – 50% of Mac owners paid to download music in the 3rd quarter of 2007, while only 16% of PC owners did.
• Not Dogmatic – Apple fans are liberal, both socially and politically. They tend to shy away from looking to religious or moral leaders for guidance and believe kids should be exposed to moral circumstances and free to draw their own conclusions.
• Not Modest – Mac owners “may be seen as self-centered, arrogant, or conceited by others.”
• Eco-minded Greenies – Mac owners top the list of ‘bright green’ consumers according to Forrester Research.
• Satisfied With Their Purchase – 79% of new Mac owners reported that they were very satisfied with their purchase. (Only 59% of new owners of a Dell or HP PC reported being very satisfied).
I scored about an 80%. I’m not a professional marketing guru, but I’d guess that’s a pretty high score for a profiling exercise based on one’s affinity for a single brand/product. And for all you PC owners out there feeling vindicated about your animosity towards us, keep in mind that we’re still smarter, cooler, funnier, healthier, happier, greener, more organized, and more productive than you.
[tags]Mac Owners, Mac v. PC, Mindset Media, Apple, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Forrester Research, Green Consumers, Starbucks Coffee, Buying a Hybrid, My Next Car Will Be A Hybrid, Downloading Music, Organic Food, Profiling, You Are What You Buy?[/tags]