The LinkUp Blog The Industry's Best-Kept Secret
Six-Figure Jobs That Might Surprise You
Lawyers and Doctors are obvious choices when thinking about careers that pay well. Although they are secure positions in fruitful and thriving industries, are these degree-intensive jobs your only option to getting to six figures? Are you stuck working for less because you don’t want to attend ten years of college? Think again. Below is a list, compiled by CNBC.com, on attainable & surprising six-figure jobs in demand in today’s economy:
- Afghan Language Specialist jobs – The two main Afghan languages are Dari and Pashto and since the US became involved in the Afghan war, supply and demand for interpreters and linguists who can communicate with the people of Afghanistan can make upwards of $187,000 to $193,000.
- Personal Trainer jobs – Health & fitness is a booming industry, and you don’t have to be Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser to make money. Many Personal Trainers can make $100,000+, especially if you are certified. LinkUp lists 447 personal trainer jobs for 24 Hour Fitness USA alone.
- Flight Training Coordinator jobs – Pilots are known to make good money, but they have to learn the industry from someone, right? Flight Training Coordinators can easily make upwards of $118,000 and the top 10 percent are known to reach into $200,000 annually. From a bird’s eye view, not bad.
- Call Center Analyst jobs – Call Center jobs are typically thought of as lower-paying jobs, often sent oversees. However, an Analyst within a call center (responsible for quality and training) can earn as much as $121,000.
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator jobs – Perhaps not the safest of jobs, Nuclear Power Reactor Operators can top the salary scales at $128,000 due to the dangers that persist.
- Casino Manager jobs – Look to Las Vegas and Atlantic City. Directing customer complaints, managing casino personnel and monitoring those scheming blackjack card counters can earn an experienced Casino Manager $100,000 a year.
- Court Reporter jobs – Think you’re a fast typer? Court reporters who type 200 wpm manage to earn $105,000. Forecasted to become more and more in demand in the next decade, job security in this area looks like it will be in the fast lane.
- Elevator Mechanic jobs – Being a “Vertical Transportation Director” can earn the experienced Mechanic up to $109,000.
- Pharmacist jobs – With a job outlook jumping upwards of 17 percent in the next decade, Pharmacists, averaging an $112,000 annual salary can rest assure their duties of filling prescriptions and offering advice on medication interactions will be compensated accordingly.
- Biostatistician jobs – A Biostatistician is a statistician for the health field. Although the top earning Biostatistician usually requires a PhD, working in a hospital or pharmacy setting can easily earn you well in to $100,000. And it’s a growing industry thanks to the retiring Baby Boomers.
- Loan Officer jobs – Loan Officers in high-powered banks, who oversee the large and complicated transactions of real estate, surprisingly make well into the six-figure salary range. And with a 10 percent increase in jobs offered in the next decade, your outlook on finding that desired salary is looking rich.
- Regional Chef jobs – With responsibilities such as training, regional menu planning and food price negotiations, Regional Chefs can potentially earn $111,000 to ensure you have a fantastic steak at your local restaurant.
- Nurse Practitioner jobs – With the number of Nursing jobs expected to jump 22 percent in the next decade, Nurses will continue to be in high-demand. The median salary for a Nurse Practitioner working in the neonatal unit or as a nurse anesthetist can earn well into the $100,000 range.
- Merchandise Buyer jobs – Retail and fashion is big business. One fashion faux pas from a buyer can spell disaster for a company – a good reason why the top 10 percent of merchandise buyers can earn upwards of $131,000.
- Petroleum Geologist jobs – These Geologists work directly for oil corporations or environmental companies. Base salary is $150,000 and up to $200,000 after adding in bonuses and other compensation.